4th Leg - Pestie or Bestie
Some of you might already have had an irritating insect pest spring to mind, others might need a little inspiration.
I have had many an awkward encounter with insects over the years from the wasp that stung me as it tried to fly into my ear, to the moths that eat away at my clothes; the mosquitos that like to feast on my ankles to the fly that just won’t stop buzzing around my room; the aphids that feast on my herb garden to the ants that I did not realise had taken up residence on my bourbon biscuit until after I had taken a bite.
Once you have chosen your “Pest” you need to look deeper, beyond its obvious annoying behaviour. Think about what role it plays in the ecosystem:
- Does it feed on plants or animals that could otherwise breed out of control?
- Does it provide a key food source for other animals?
- Is it a decomposer, helping the breakdown of organic materials?
- Does its behaviour perform a useful or even vital task in the environment, allowing other organisms to survive and complete their life cycles?
- What would happen if it just suddenly, disappeared?
Take the quiz
When you have tried out our activity, have a go at our online quiz. You can also let us know what you think.
Share your finds
Once you have gathered and presented your findings share them with us @morethanadodo or email them to us at email@example.com